The Swan Inn occupied a fine-looking Georgian property. Francis Bevan was recorded as the innkeeper in 1792. By the time of this inter-war photograph the pub was operated by Ansell's Brewery Ltd. The name of E. Coombs can be seen behind the large lantern above the front door. Edmund Coombs was the licensee for many years. The former railway engine fireman had taken over from his father George as licensee in 1912. He was born in Worcester in 1881. His father hailed from Birmingham and his mother Emma came from Kidderminster. After a spell of living at the Swan Inn, Edmund married. He and his wife Lily spent some years in Birmingham before returning to Worcestershire. Lily succeeded her husband as licensee following his death in 1945.
Catalogue Number : DPI 22163
Title : Worcester St. John's - Swan Inn
Date : c.1932
Source : Original Brewery Sales Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 1741 x 2280 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 1.75Mb