Captured in 1906, this is a wonderful image of the Methodist New Connexion Chapel that was located in Unett Street at Hockley.
Also known as Kilhamite Methodism, the Methodist New Connexion was a Protestant nonconformist church formed 1797 by secession from the Wesleyan Methodists led by Alexander Kilham and William Thom.
Establishing in Birmingham, the movement opened a mission in a Court off New Street in 1809. Two years later they opened a small chapel in Oxford Street. This building was opened in 1838. Schools connected to this chapel were opened in June 1869.
The Methodist New Connexion eventually had chapels in Heath Street, Kyrwick's Lane, Ladywood Lane, Moseley Street, and here at Unett Street.
Catalogue Number : DPI 4235
Title : Hockley - Methodist New Connexion Chapel
Date : 1906
Source : Real Photo Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 4097 x 5622 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 10.6Mb