For generations, The Mermaid Hotel was a landmark building on the junction of the roads to Stratford and Warwick. An older building stood almost in isolation in what was then a rural setting. Featuring twin towers, the hotel was completely rebuilt at the turn of the 20th century but 'toned down' during a remodelling in the inter-war years. Here The Mermaid can be seen around 1950 in the livery of Ind Coope and Allsopp Ltd., the Burton-on-Trent brewery having acquired the property from Showell's of Langley. The Mermaid Hotel hosted many social events and meetings so required a small army of staff to operate - even down to employing a full-time billiard marker. Soldiers were recruited on the space in front of the hotel at the outbreak of World War One.
Catalogue Number : DPI 8403
Title : Sparkhill - The Mermaid
Date : c.1950
Source : Original Photograph
Maximum Dimensions : 2271 x 1997 Pixels
Resolution : 800dpi
Maximum File Size : 4.63Mb