Unlike most pubs in the locality, the Railway Tavern on Park Road survived into the 21st century and had a small collection of railway memorabilia on the interior walls for customers to enjoy. This photograph dates from around 1924 when Charles John Draper was the publican. Succeeding Herbert Whitman, he remained as licensee until May 1950 - almost 30 years behind the counter. He handed over to Thomas Plumb who only stayed for two years. During much of the late 19th century the Railway Tavern was run by the Wilson family. John Wilson hailed from Yorkshire but kept the pub with his Warwickshire-born wife Elizabeth. Their eldest son worked in the Railway Tavern but their other sons found employment in local factories. The Wilson's sold the Railway Tavern to Mitchell's & Butler's - the pub can be seen here in the livery of the Cape Hill Brewery.
Catalogue Number : DPI 0297
Title : Park Road - Railway Tavern
Date : c.1924
Source : Real Photo Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 5112 x 3683 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 6.14Mb