Under the instructions of headmaster Francis Jeune, this architectural jewel was erected in the 1830's, the third King Edward's Grammar School on the New Street site. The neo-Gothic building was designed by Sir Charles Barry. Elements of the internal design were the work of Augustus Pugin, who later created the Gothic interior of the Palace of Westminster. The original design for the school included a spire but was eschewed due to spiralling construction costs. During the 20th century the site became increasingly impracticable as a modern school. Much of the site was sold for the expansion of New Street Station and King Edward's Grammar School was relocated to Edgbaston. The old chapel was however moved brick-by-brick and rebuilt by Holland W. Hobbis at the new school in the 1950's.
Catalogue Number : DPI 25174
Title : Birmingham - King Edward's Grammar School
Date : c.1920
Source : Real Photo Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 5697 x 3636 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 9.11Mb