The Warstone was located on the west side of Icknield Street on the corner of Camden Street. It was lost in the early 1970's when the road was widened. A building of some antiquity, the Warstone Inn was given a facelift in 1889 - probably the year the ground floor fenestration was inserted. The work was commissioned by Newsome Thwaite who had acquired the pub built on the estate of Sir Thomas Gooch. Earlier in the decade the pub was run by the wine and spirit merchant Richard Gibson. The Warstone Inn was later operated by Peter Walker of Burton, Atkinson's of Aston, Mitchell's and Butler's and finally Bass. The pub closed on September 28th 1971. The licence was transferred to The Florin, a pub that opened in February 1974.
Catalogue Number : DPI 0288
Title : Icknield Street - The Warstone
Date : c.1965
Source : Real Photo Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 6324 x 3980 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 7.85Mb