For centuries Great Hampton Street has been an important arterial route in and out of Birmingham. From the late 19th and early 20th centuries, great industrial buildings started to loom over the pavements but when development first took place the thoroughfare was one of relative tranquillity where the wealthier folk of Birmingham chose to reside. The original houses stood back from the road formerly known as Sandy Lane. Here at the Lord Clifden, one can see where the building line was extended up to the pavement. This was originally a manufactory where clocks and glass cases were made. It was in the late 1830's that a beer house licence was granted to the property. The Lord Clifden was once part of the tied estate of Holder's Brewery.
Catalogue Number : DPI 0293
Title : Great Hampton Street - Lord Clifden
Date : 1961
Source : Real Photo Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 6340 x 3962 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 7.15Mb