The Minerva Vaults on Great Hampton Row can be seen here in the livery of Atkinson's of Aston. William Whitehurst was the licensee at the time of this photograph. He was the gaffer for Mitchell's and Butler's between March 1965 and September 1968 when George Pragnell took over the reins. In the 1830's the pub was operated by Joseph Fulford who also owned the Minerva Brewery. The latter was around the corner in Mott Street. During the Second World War, the Minerva Vaults was extensively damaged by a bomb which landed on a house across the road. The customers inside the bar and the firewatchers standing outside the pub were killed.
Catalogue Number : DPI 0294
Title : Hockley - Minerva Vaults
Date : c.1965
Source : Real Photo Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 6185 x 3959 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 6.19Mb