Once one of thirteen pubs in Gooch Street, the history of the Sir Charles Napier can be traced back to the mid-1850's. Joseph Baxter was the first publican. As a builder, it is possible that Joseph Baxter was responsible for the construction of the Sir Charles Napier. And living between the Lord Raglan and the Garrick's Head [later called the Duke of Wellington], it is tempting to speculate that he built several of the pubs in Gooch Street. Born in the Staffordshire village of Wigginton in 1815, he held the licence of the Sir Charles Napier for a brief spell whilst continuing his work in the construction industry. He and his Birmingham-born wife Ann later moved to Long Street in Sparkbrook.
Catalogue Number : DPI 2366
Title : Gooch Street - Sir Charles Napier
Date : c.1955
Source : Glass Plate Negative
Maximum Dimensions : 4693 x 3499 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 6.09Mb