In capturing this image, the photographer would have been stood at the end of Broad Street looking towards these offices and retail outlets on Easy Row. The large building behind was the Mason College of Science.
The building on the extreme left is the former Birmingham and Midland Homeopathic Hospital. At the time of this photograph, H. H. Graham was the Treasurer, Miss Olive Furneaux the Secretary and Miss A. E. Wimblett the Matron. Homoeopathy was first introduced into Birmingham in 1845, and there was once a Homeopathic Dispensary in The Old Square.
Immediately adjoining the hospital is the premises of W. Gerwin Limited. Located at No.12 Easy Row was the National Time Recorder Company Limited. Many a factory worker would have clocked in using a device manufactured by this company.
Next door at No.11 are the offices of Thomson & Chavasse, along with Joseph Shore & Son Ltd., both of whom were wine and spirit merchants. The latter was one of Birmingham's older firms. Established in 1802, the business was recorded in an 1808 Trade Directory No.3 Easy Row. By 1833 the business is listed at 11 Easy Row, the address they occupied in the year of this image. With the development of this area in the early 1960's the business was forced to move to premises in Broad Street. The firm ceased trading around 1972.
Next to Shore's there is the offices of the solicitors Cottrell & Son, adjoining the accountancy firm of George A. Touche & Co. Just before the junction of Edmund Street is a shop selling "Obsolete Furniture" which today would possibly be called Shabby Chic. One assumes that the firm sold Victorian and Edwardian furnishings which, in the art deco world of the 1930's was probably out of fashion. An emporium in which there would be a bargain to be had.
Catalogue Number : DPI 16397
Title : Birmingham - Easy Row
Date : February 1938
Source : Glass Plate Negative
Maximum Dimensions : 5073 x 3860 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 7.94Mb