A photograph of Digbeth Police Station on the eastern corner of Allison Street in Birmingham. The building was designed by Henry Edward Stilgoe in 1911 in a vaguely Italianate baroque style. He was the City Engineer and Surveyor of Birmingham from 1906 to 1919. The construction of the police station meant the removal of the existing buildings on a plot fronting both Digbeth and Allison Street. The scheme was approved by the Council on January 5th 1909 because the Public Office in Moor Street was deemed beyond economic repair. With an original budget of £20,000, the police station's specifications included accommodation for an inspector and 49 men. The builders were T. Elvins and Sons. This firm left a board on the frontage of the police station for some time afterwards as 'free' advertising. The police moved into the building on July 1st 1911.
Catalogue Number : DPI 27027
Title : Digbeth - Police Station
Date : c.1912
Source : Original Photograph
Maximum Dimensions : 800 x 921 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 457Kb