Close to the old Bull Ring, the former Makepeace Emporium at Digbeth is one of the last remnants of old Birmingham in this part of the city. It was built in 1913 to the designs of James Patchett of Ombersley. The building occupies the site of two former shops that in 1890 were occupied by the jeweller John Green, along with a fancy leather seller Edward Mason. To the left is a much older building and thought to have retained some timber elements. Restored in 1947, the frontage dates from the 18th century. In the late 19th century this building was the premises of the umbrella stick maker William Nutting who established the business in 1814. On the extreme is a building designed by Samuel Nathaniel Cooke in 1936. This has some nice understated art-deco elements.
Catalogue Number : DPI 22412
Title : Digbeth - George Makepeace Emporium
Date : January 29th 2008
Source : Canon EOS 400D
Maximum Dimensions : 3888 x 2592 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 3.87Mb