The Gladstone Arms stood on the Stourbridge to Wolverhampton turnpike close to Audnam Brook. This photograph was taken when the pub's regular customers were about to embark on a social trip organised by the publican Joseph Pargeter. He kept the former beer house between 1908-1915. There is a cask of homebrewed ale between the legs of the passengers seated at the front. The signboard above the pub's front door reveals that Joseph Pargeter was a licensed brewer. He was born in Quarry Bank in 1872. In 1899 he married Elizabeth Skelding, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Skelding, owners of the Gladstone Arms from 1888 after acquiring the property from former coal miner Samuel Grainger and his wife Elizabeth.
Catalogue Number : DPI 11266
Title : Wordsley - Gladstone Arms
Date : c.1909
Source : Real Photo Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 6017 x 3646 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 7.40Mb