Carriages and traps are lined up outside Tamworth's railway station in 1908, suggesting the imminent arrival of a train. Opened on August 4th 1839, the first train line to serve Tamworth was the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway - later to become the Midland Railway. This was dubbed the 'high level' railway at Tamworth and crosses the River Anker along a 250 metre viaduct. Indeed, the pioneer George Stephenson drove the first locomotive across the structure. Appropriately named Tamworth, the locomotive pulled six carriages of local dignitaries across the viaduct to mark the opening of the line. It was not until the construction of the 'low level' Trent Valley line, later the London and North-Western Railway, that the town's magnificent neo-Tudor/Jacobean railway station was erected. A building to lift the spirits of many a weary traveller, it was criminally demolished in 1961-2.
Catalogue Number : DPI 0087
Title : Tamworth - Railway Station
Date : c.1908
Source : Real Photo Postcard
Maximum Dimensions : 1783 x 1276 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 1.25Mb