A superb view of Albert Road in the mid-Edwardian period. To the right of the photograph is the Albert Hotel. Note that the trees, probably planted at the time Albert Road was laid out, are well established by this date. A well-dressed man appears to be addressing someone inside a first floor window of the hotel but there is somebody standing on the step - the wife of the publican perhaps? There is a lot of activity in the street and plenty of horse dung! It's a splendid scene and helps to explain why Albert Road was such a desirable place to live in the Victorian and Edwardian era. It was was a former publican of the neighbouring Tweeddale Arms that became the first licensee of the Albert Hotel in 1864. Born in 1826 at Clifton Campville, William Spencer kept the hotel with his Gloucestershire-born wife Mary. The pub would later become part of the tied estate of Ind Coope and Allsop Ltd. In later years the Albert Hotel was an outlet for Ansell's Brewery of Aston.
Catalogue Number : DPI 0079
Title : Tamworth - Albert Road
Date : c.1905
Source : Original 10 x 8 Photograph
Maximum Dimensions : 3526 x 2400 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 14.20Mb