Built in the Early English style, Christ Church is located near the top of Quarry Bank. Constructed with yellow brick, it was designed by Thomas Smith, the architect responsible for St. John's at Brockmoor. Featuring lancet windows and a bellcote, it is quite a pretty building. However, it is most notable for its hammer-beam roof. The erection of a church allowed Quarry Bank to become a distinct parish in 1845. The church's foundation stone was laid by Amelia, Baroness Ward, on October 28th, 1845 and the building was completed just seventeen months later. It was consecrated on March 2nd, 1847. The building has been modified over the years and even survived a fire which occurred on November 19th, 1900. The churchyard is full of the gravestones of local industrialists and the people who helped to shape Quarry Bank. Names such as Bloomer, Billingham and Homer are among the most prevalent.
Catalogue Number : DPI 31042
Title : Quarry Bank - Christ Church
Date : 29-03-2012
Source : Panasonic DMC-FX150
Maximum Dimensions : 3651 x 2694 Pixels
Resolution : 800dpi
Maximum File Size : 5.83Mb