This signboard appeared on The Albert at Tamworth towards the end of its life as a pub. Although the street had already been named Albert Road, William Spencer, the first publican of the premises, named the hotel in honour of Prince Albert of Saxe-Coborg and Goth who had recently died. A visitor to Tamworth shortly after the opening of the town's railway station, Prince Albert married his cousin Queen Victoria in 1840. This was three years after she had been called to the British throne following the death of her uncle King William IV. Albert and Victoria had nine children. He played an influential role on the queen who was very submissive and hardly made a decision without consulting him. In this role he replaced Lord Melbourne, the Prime Minister in the early years of her reign. He was a keen supporter of the sciences and helped to organise the Crystal Palace Exhibition in 1851. He died at Windsor Castle in 1861 from typhoid fever and Victoria went into a self-imposed seclusion for the next decade.
Catalogue Number : DPI 27021
Title : Tamworth - The Albert Inn Sign
Date : March 3rd 2012
Source : Canon EOS 400D
Maximum Dimensions : 1493 x 2122 Pixels
Resolution : 1200dpi
Maximum File Size : 2.06Mb